Skip to content
April 22, 2012 / thepurpledogpaintingblog

Aimless wanderings…

It’s been a good week for aimless wandering.

I wandered here and there and to and fro.

I met a swan

And a crocodile

And an iguana

And a boa constrictor all nicely tucked in.

It may actually be a python..

I was too distracted by his pretty blue marks to ask.

I also saw a butterfly.

And a burl oak tree (the cemetery is from the mid 1800’s)

I visited a mill, built in 1850.

And drove under a rock processing plant. The quarry is on the other side of the road and the rock travels in that tunnel over the road. They made the road curvy to boot so tempting as it is to speed under the tonnes of rock going by overhead, it’s not a good idea.  A bunch of sadists made that road.

And I painted this from a reference photo by Pippin on Wetcanvas for a monthly challenge in the Miniature forum.

It’s acrylic, 5×3 inches and painted on my favorite black background.

And now like the elephant, I am ready for a nap.

—————————–

©Virginia Spencer, thepurpledogpaintingblog, 2012

About these ads

14 Comments

1. The Pal Guy / Apr 22 2012 5:11 pm

stunning photos. The one of the croc is great.

2. thepurpledogpaintingblog / Apr 22 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks, he’s actually halfway under the water but the water was so clear you can’t see it. They have beautiful eyes for such a cranky creature.

3. Yvonne / Apr 22 2012 6:03 pm

These are really nice photographs. Some of them look like paintings. I loved the butterfly. Love Beth

• thepurpledogpaintingblog / Apr 22 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks Twinbee, if you click on the photo it will show you a big version of it and you can see that the butterfly has striped antennas! There are a lot of butterflies this year.

4. idiotphotographer / Apr 22 2012 6:35 pm

Please tell me that mill photo is going to be a reference shot for a painting later, so lovely it is!

Also, that serpent is simply stunning! I’ve always wanted to keep a python but don’t have the room for one (also, too many cats. I’m not sure who I would have to fear for in that situation) You did a wonderful job catching his colors and form!

Thanks for making me smile (like you always do!)

• thepurpledogpaintingblog / Apr 22 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks. :D I am definitely going to paint the mill. I couldn’t resist the snake, I like snakes, I can never figure out why people so freaked out by them.

5. Sallyann / Apr 23 2012 5:44 am

That swan put up a lovely pose for you, and I too love the snake picture, although I’m not sure how I’d react if I actually saw one. :-)

6. Yvonne / Apr 23 2012 7:03 am

The elelphant actually looks like a carving in the clay, it blends in so perfectly. I love the swan too. Its feathers are so white. Maybe there’s bleach in the water. I predict some paintings soon…

7. Yvonne / Apr 23 2012 7:04 am

Sorry, I just realized that I spelled elephant wrong. Forgive me, I’m old. Sarah says finally, you admit it.

8. latebloomerbuds / Apr 23 2012 6:45 pm

You rock Virginia! Love your painting. Can’t believe you work so small. That is right up my alley. I know it’s not easy to work small like that. Awesome post. Margie

9. Carol King / Apr 26 2012 10:44 am

thanks for the photos. The croc and snake were scary. I like the elephant and napping is one of my favorite activities. Great painting of the lighthouse.